I've only mentioned it a couple times that my wife's on a mission trip to the Ukraine. This is an annual trek for her, and I've learned to adapt in her absence. Most people freak out when they hear that she's gone for a month. It's obviously difficult to function in a relationship when the other half is on another continent for a month straight, but we've learned to deal with it.
That being said, let me give you the Top Ten Reasons Why I Miss My Wife:
10) Jerk: Eleven months out of the year I'm a jerk. For the one month when she's gone, I'm a super-jerk. I'm sorry.
9) Meals: Notice I didn't say cooking. When she's around we eat nice meals. When she's gone I eat Ramen Noodles or soup for almost every meal. I'm sick of liquid-based food.
8) Fun: As much fun as seeing Transformers three times in a weekend is, she makes life better. Who do you think made me a Pro at Wii Boxing?
7) Sleep: Amy is a noisy sleeper. Mumbling. Chewing. Kicking. As you can imagine she keeps me up into odd hours. When she's not around, though, I never sleep. Ends up I need those noises after all.
6) Bills: She is the one that reminds me to pay the bills. I got really afraid when the power flickered today during a lightning storm that FPL was cutting the power off on me. I could almost hear Amy yelling at me from the other side of the world.
5) Beowulf: Our dog mopes when she's gone. He sleeps by the door and gets excited every time he hears a noise outside. (Ever see Return to Me? That's my dog!) It's not just him. It's me too!
4) Femininity: If you saw my PersonalDNA test I have NO FEMININE SIDE. Amy supplies that for me. Amy keeps me honest, and helps me deal with people (thus another reason when she's not around I'm a "super-jerk". See #10).
3) Communication: As much as I enjoy talking to my dog about how my day went, I really don't quite get the interaction that I'm looking for. Besides, he's asleep at the door (see #5). I know she doesn't really care about the latest Apple Rumor or technological tidbit I'll throw at her, but she pretends very well... much better than I do with her stuff!
2) Smile: I'll be honest. That's why I asked her out thirteen years ago. I remember when she walked in the room, smiling. Jealous? You should be.
1) Minutiae: It's the little things you miss. Her jestures. Her laugh. Her wink. The numerous tiny nuances that would drive someone else crazy, yet when they're not around I ache for.
Love you babygirl.